Rubyfruit Jungle

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Yesterday

Yesterday I did my bit at the awareness breakfast for the National Day to End Homophobia. I was sooooo nervous I don't know why I think because it was such an important event and there were people there who have worked really hard for the community. I felt really honored to even be asked. The speakers were great lots of different people all standing together in solidarity to end homophobia. Members of the LGBT community are still the highest target for hate based crimes in Canada. Things are getting better because we have such dedicated people fighting the good fight but it is a very slow process. Especially when the supreme court refuses to recognize hate crimes ( referring to Aaron Webster here)it is appalling. And in the paper yesterday a young man had his turban ripped off and his hair cut by a bunch of young men. I would like to see the court try and rule something other than a hate crime for that gassly event.
There was a member of the Jewish Canadian Congress and a speaker from ASSEC. There were lesbian parents and members of the community who all shared there stories. There were people who haven't spoken to there families in 25 years due to homophobia and Larry Campbell officially declared June 1st to be The National Day Against Homophobia in the city of Vancouver. So I challenge you to challenge those who by using the terms 'that's so gay', 'dyke', or 'fag' perpetuate hate. And to me in the life that I live in that's just not okay.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Carol,

    Congratulations! I wish I could have been there to hear you speak and stand in solidarity (although you know I do wherever I am). Love to you, a

     

Post a Comment

<< Home